MAS / SWS Mountaineering School
ANNUAL FALL SALE EXTENDED
ALL 2019 CLIMBS, COURSE & CLINICS SAVE 20%
EXPIRES OCTOBER 10th, 2018
Use promo code: fallsale19
Full Payment required for discount, cannot be combined with any other discounts or reduced pricing, excludes international expeditions, treks, custom trips & gift cards save 10% — give us a call — 888.797.6867
The MAS/SWS Mountaineering School is designed to develop people’s mountaineering skills. Both educational workshops and multi-day camps help participants gain skills and gain an appreciation for “wild places.”
California is an excellent region to learn, train and explore your mountaineering goals. MAS/SWS offers programs training programs in Bear Valley, Lassen Volcanic National Park and the Sawtooth Range west of Bridgeport, Mt. Whitney, and the Palisades on the Eastside of the Sierra Nevada, Mt. Shasta and International Expeditions. Each of these areas offers unique mountaineering challenges and experiences.
- Bear Valley, CA, – SWS/MAS Office is conveniently located 3 hours drive east of San Francisco. Mountaineering classes, Avalanche Courses based in Bear Valley use a blend of resort and backcountry terrain.
- Sawtooth Range / Matterhorn Peak located in the Hoover Wilderness on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Range outside Bridgeport on Highway 395.
- Mt. Shasta / Main SWS / MAS Office located 3 hrs north of Sacramento, CA. Mountaineering courses, Glacier Travel Courses, Summit Climbs, Avalanche Courses and Ski Descents.
- Mt. Whitney & The Palisades, MAS/SWS office Lone Pine, CA. Located on the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada 4 hrs north of Los Angeles. Mountaineering camps, Summer & Winter Ascents of Mt. Whitney, Ski Touring, Alabama Hills Rock Climbing
Crampon and Ice Axe Clinic – Bear Valley, California -2019
Designed climbers or hikers who want to learn about the basic tools and techniques of snow climbing. Learn how to climb and descend steep snow slopes using crampons and ice ax. A variety of techniques practiced including how to prevent a slip from becoming a fall (aka – self-arrest). This course provides the basics for aspiring mountaineers headed to Mt. Shasta, Mt. Rainer and beyond, including PCT hikers. Topics include: Walking with the ax, ice ax self-belay, ice ax self-arrest (from all positions), crampons boot fit and adjustment, walking in crampons, flat-footing, French technique, German technique, using the front points, and glissading. Give us a call if you have questions or would like to arrange private individual or group training.
- Walking with an ice ax
- Ice Ax Self-Belay
- Ice Ax Self-Arrest – all positions
- Crampon Technique – French, German, American
- When Crampons are needed
- Price: $150.00
- More Course Info: Coming Soon!
- Length: 1 day / 6-8 hours
- Location: Bear Valley, CA
- Meeting Place: Bear Valley, California
- Anyone in good physical condition with a desire to learn basic snow climbing skills
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Dates 2019: January 12th 26th, February 16th, 23rd, March 9th,16th, April 6th, 13th
Additional Ice Ax and Crampons clinics available at our Mt. Shasta Location – Ice Ax clinics – Shasta
Special: Combine both our Ice Ax Clinic and our Mountaineering Clinic in one weekend for $275.00 per person USE PROMO CODE: Iceaxcombo19 on the Basic Mountain Clinic Reservation – SAVE $50.00 / OR Give us a call to make arrangements for your combo course or private/custom group. Call: 888.797.6867Book Now
Basic Mountaineering Clinic – Bear Valley, California -2019
Perhaps the best value for climbers looking to hone their mountain skills. Our one-day climbing course designed for individuals and groups who want or need to learn additional mountaineering techniques for their adventures. As well as add to their knowledge base for climbing steep snow slopes, the latest in belaying and rope techniques, with instruction in a variety of climbing techniques. Instruction includes Rope team travel, climbing knots, snow anchor placement, snow belays, and advanced ice ax and crampons techniques. Come out and spend the day with our guides/instructors for a full review of “what’s new” or learning new techniques to stay safe on your climbing adventures.
- Rope Team Travel
- Climbing Knots
- Snow Anchor Placement
- Snow Belays
- Advanced Ice Ax and Crampon Techniques
- Price: $175.00
- Group Size: Limited to 10 Climbers
- Guide to Client Ratio: 1:4/5
- Length: 1 day / 6-8 Hours
- Location: Bear Valley, CA 95223
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Fitness Level: Moderate
- Anyone in good physical condition with a desire to learn more advanced Mountaineering skills
- Taken our Ice Ax and Crampon Clinic or equivalent experience
- Dates 2019: January 13th 27th, February 17th, 24rd, March 10th,17th, April 7th, 14th“]
Additional Basic Mountain clinics available at our Mt. Shasta Location – Basic Mountain clinics – Shasta
Special: Combine both our Ice Ax Clinic and our Mountaineering Clinic in one weekend for $275.00 per person USE PROMO CODE: Iceaxcombo18 on the Basic Mountain Clinic Reservation – SAVE $50.00 / OR Give us a call to make arrangements for your combo course or private/custom group. Call: 888.797.6867Book Now
Matterhorn Peak Mountaineering Course & Ascent – 2019
Climb one of the “50 classics” climbs in North America via the East Couloir of Matterhorn Peak (12,279 feet). This 3-day mountaineering course is a demanding program complete with the scenic approach, cross-country travel, a glacier crossing and steep snow & ice climbing.
- Alpine travel preparation
- Leave No Trace backpacking skills
- Review Crampon, Ice Axe, Rope Team Skills
- Belay & Snow Anchors on steep snow
- Rock climbing techniques on 4th class terrain
- Price: $845.00
- More Info: updating 2018 info
- Length: 3 days & 2 nights
- Meeting Time and Place: 8 AM outside the cafe at Annett’s Mono Village at Twin Lakes
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Fitness Level: Very Good
- Very good physical condition
- Overnight backpacking experience
- Crampon / Ice Axe Workshop Recommended
- Basic Winter Mountaineering – Lassen Nat’l Park – Recommended
- Group size limited to 6
- Guide to Client ratio is: 1:3
- Dates 2019: May 17-19, June 7-9
Basic Winter Mountaineering Course – Lassen National Park -2019
Learn from California’s best mountain guides in our Basic Winter Mountaineering Course. Perhaps the best classroom in the country for such a course we head into the stunning and isolated Lassen Volcanic National Park for three days of education, mountaineering, and fun. This course is designed to allow participants to expand their hiking and climbing seasons from the summer to the winter, spring, and fall seasons.
This Basic Winter Mountaineering course enables you to build the skills needed for more advanced mountaineering adventures such as expedition climbing, ski touring, snow-shoeing, or winter mountaineering on your local peaks. The course itinerary focuses on the fundamentals to take on the unique challenges of winter time. These include the skills of establishing a winter camp, traveling over winter terrain, basic avalanche safety/rescue, winter survival, staying warm, winter route finding, and mountain safety. Also, the course also focuses on basic mountaineering skills including ice-ax self-arrest, proper crampon techniques, and basic rope team travel.
After two days of training in the park, the course culminates with a winter attempt of the South Ridge Route on Lassen Peak (10,463 ft). Allowing participants the opportunity to put their new found skills into action and hopefully summit one of the most majestic peaks of Northern Californa. Lassen Volcanic National Park, the southernmost Volcano in the Cascade Range.
- Traveling over Winter Terrain
- Avalanche Safety & Rescue
- Winter Survival Skills / Staying Warm
- Winter Route Finding
- Self Belay, Self Arrest & Glissading
- Basic Rope Team Travel
- Crampon & Ice Axe Skills
- Price: $825.00
- Length: 3 days
- Location: Mineral, California – Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate
- Fitness Level: Moderate to Good
- good physical condition
- All types of winter travelers, snowshoes, skiers, snowboarders, and mountaineers
- No previous winter experience needed. Previous backpacking highly recommended.
- Group Size: Limited to 8 clients
- Guide to Client ratio: 1:4
- Dates 2019: January 11-13, February 8-10, February 16-18, March 1-3, March 22-24
Crevasse Rescue and Glacier Travel Course – Mount Shasta, California
Whenever your mountaineering adventures include glaciated terrain similar to the north side of Mt. Shasta you need to have the training and experience to venture out on this type of terrain safely. Our course covers the equipment and travel techniques, including crevasse rescue, required for glacier travel. From our base camp on the Northern slopes of Mt. Shasta, we will venture to the ice falls and seracs of the lower Hotlum Glacier where we will spend two days teaching roped team travel, team self-arrest, crampon technique, technical ice climbing (front pointing); use and placement of anchors in snow and ice (pickets, bollards, flukes, ice screws), crevasse self-rescue, crevasse rescue systems ( ‘C’ and ‘Z’ pulley systems), ascending fixed lines, and glacier route finding. No summit attempt is scheduled for this course, just not enough time. Have three days and need the practical training in glacier skills give us a call!
- Glacier Travel Rope Team Pre-rig
- Rescue Anchor Systems
- Rope Ascension
- Hauling & Mechanical Advantage Systems
- Price: $775.00
- Group Size: Limited to 8
- Guide to Client Ratio: 1:4
- Length: 3 Days/ 2 nights
- Location: Hotlum Glacier, Mount Shasta, California.
- Meeting Place: SWS Mountain Guides Office, Mt. Shasta, CA.
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Fitness Level: good for excellent physical condition required
- Prerequisites: Backpacking, Mountaineering Experience, Basic rock and or rope skills recommended.
- Dates 2019: July 2-4, July 12-14, August 2-4, August 13-15, August 31st- September 2, September 13-15